Prior to donating their private library to UNC Asheville, Bill and Alice Hart housed their collection in a custom-built library in their house, where it was organized by topics – the first shelves being materials on the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, etc. In September, 2021, after the Harts had offered to donate their collection and before the collection was moved to UNC Asheville, we visited the Harts and filmed Bill and Alice talking about the collection. This series of short videos begins with Bill and Alice providing an introduction to their collection, and continues with Bill providing an annotated, shelf-by-shelf tour of individual books in the collection.
- Video: Introduction to the collection by Bill and Alice Hart
- Video: Bill discusses books in the first bookshelf – Great Smoky Mountains National Park
- Video: The second bookshelf – “Smoky Mountain Heroes”
- Video: The third bookshelf – Early impressions of Western North Carolina and Southern Appalachia by Horace Kephart, Emma Bell Miles, and others
- Video: The fourth bookshelf – Early works on Western North Carolina including The Cherokee Physician, The Heart of The Alleghenies, and other works
- Video: The fifth bookshelf – Western North Carolina institutions, including schools, churches, hospitals, and industries
- Video: The sixth bookshelf – The Appalachian Trail and hiking
- Video: The seventh bookshelf – Folklore, mountain humor, and the Foxfire books
- Video: The eighth bookshelf – Folk tales and folk songs
- Video: The ninth bookshelf – Appalachian fiction, literature, and literary criticism
- Video: The tenth bookshelf- Works by and about Cherokees
- Video: The eleventh bookshelf – Natural history and county histories
- Video: The twelfth bookshelf- Architects, Anthony Lord, photographers, mining, and minerals
Notes: Thanks to Edwin Dennis for shooting, producing, and editing the videos, which were taken in Bill and Alice Hart’s library in September, 2021. The banjo pictured on the video pages was handmade by Wayne Martin, and is part of the Wade & Wayne Martin – Master Woodcarver Collection at UNC Asheville.